[Shotimes] timing belt done, runs awful

BJamesjr@aol.com BJamesjr@aol.com
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:58:54 EDT

And HOW DO YOU
TORQUE THAT CRANK BOLT DOWN?? Thanks

This is very important- the crank bolt keeps the harmonic balancer in place
but more importantly holds the crank gear in place.  Otherwise the crank gear
will work back and forth against the woodruff key and eventually (30,000
miles in my case) wear the key and the keyway in the gear enough to retard
timing significantly.

The torque spec for the crank bolt is something like 105-120 ft-lbs.  I
lubricated mine and torque'd it to 120 using a torque wrench.  The only way
to keep the engine from turning if you have an MTX is to put the car in 5th
gear and have someone sit in the car and press on the brake pedal hard with
both feet.