[Shotimes] Pulling upon acceleration

ianf@eden.rutgers.edu ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:37:23 -0400 (EDT)

I refuse to sit here and bite my lip...Since you posted this to the
list, I will also respond on the list.

>  I did the 96 brake upgrade recently and have developed an odd deal.
Upon
> acceleration, particularily while moving at 30+, the steering wheel
will pull
> to the left.
>  The spindle/hub[s] I purchased had some issues, particularily the
passenger
> side. The bearing had big time play in it and new studs for mounting
the
> wheel.

That's because the last time that I replaced the bearing, I replaced
the hub and pressed in longer wheel studs as well. I have never heard
of anyone complain about new wheel studs before..

While posting to the list before consulting me first, you also fail to
mention that I sent you $35 towards a new wheel bearing. You never once
mentioned a problem with the driver's side.

I had new bearings/hubs installed on both sides.

 I could detect no
> outward appearance of accident damage to the spindles. Today, upon
scanning
> the Forum I came upon a post authored by the list member I bought the
> spindles from offering info related to bearings not seating properly
and
> alignment issues with front end damaged vehicles/spindles.

I won't deny that I have posted such. However, my car was in an
accident before I bought it. At that time, it had the orginal OEM 93
spindles on it. The spindles that I used for the 96 brake upgrade
(which are the ones that you have now) were purchased from a junkyard
after I specfically requested that they not be removed from a car with
front end damage. If you search a little more, I am sure that you will
find a post about wheel bearings and how many I have been through. Let
me clairfy that now before its used against me in the future. I've
owned two road going SHO's. My 94 ATX suffered wheel bearing failure on
both sides while I had. My 93 mtx has had at least 3 different sets of
spindles with varying mileage on it and at least one spindle from every
set has required that I press in a new bearing. Again, it would have
proven wise to consult with me before posting to the list. I could have
clarified this for you. My car was never in an accident while I had the
spindles on that I sold to you. I never had any reason to believe that
there was any damage to them as well. FWIW, I never had an alingment
problem UNTIL I removed the spindles that I sold to you..

 I checked my
> alignment and it has changed some, especially passenger side and
worst of all
> on the passenger side, I have play when I rock the wheel. All this
leads me
> to believe, obviously at this point, that I purchased a damaged
spindle that
> will not hold a bearing properly. I guess my question is, anyone else
> experience these symptoms and was it a bad spindle? If I get a new
spindle
> can the bearing in the present one be used again or is it now damaged?

No, you do not want to reuse a bearing. Get a new one.

> Should the machinist that pressed my bearings realized there was a
problem? I
> believe I took it up the ass with this purchase from a fellow lister
and
> would encourage all to ask every question they can think of before
buying,
> trust no one!!

Likewise..if you are going to sell something to someone, making it
clear that there are no guarantees, warranties expressed or implied
just doesn't seem to be enough anymore... I would be a little more
helpful, but I don't appreciate the way that this matter was handled.
Good luck.

Ian