[Shotimes] (OT) FW: "Hillman - " You just wouldn't believe what turned up in New Hampshire (Not a Hillman)

David Rosicke d.rosicke@snet.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:54:24 -0400

Can anyone help?  It's got me stumped too!

Dave R

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hillman@can-inc.com [mailto:owner-hillman@can-inc.com]On
Behalf Of Kevin D Reid
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 7:16 PM
To: hillman@can-inc.com
Cc: kevreid@juno.com
Subject: "Hillman - " You just wouldn't believe what turned up in New
Hampshire (Not a Hillman)

This message forwarded by the Hillman List.

OK, I've been stumped. Thought I was pretty smart but....

I found a very nice, very original, right hand drive 1947 Lanchester 10 4
door saloon. It's for sale but I have no info on asking price as no
owner/seller was about. Never seen one before or any Lanchester of any
kind. A bit of research shows them to have been a very old and successful
British car company pumping out cars since 1895! After making quite a
range of cars, even some competing with Rolls Royce, they were bought out
by Daimler and became a bit of a bargain brand for them apparently.

Anyway. This is a little guy, I guess with a whopping 10hp engine, (Guess
you know your Hillman is quite the fast machine now!) has four cyl. and a
mystery four speed ( I think ) tranny with a clutch but with a gear
selector that looks for all the world like an automatic. It's a paddle on
the column with  R  at the bottom then N 1 2 3 4  as you go up about 5
inches. What's up with that? It is a distinguished looker that is holding
it's own next to a concours '36 Packard.

Any info/experience with the marque? Are they desirable? Are they worth
anything? Is driving it down an American road asking for death? ( I can't
imagine that it goes any faster than a slug, but I bet it stops even
slower)

Couldn't think of a better group of folks to ask than you "listers"

Kevin Reid
Cow Hampshire USA

59 Rapier w/1725
69 Alpine GT Coupe
various Sunbeam Junkers
Boring American Iron

PS Chuck form Maine ---- Where 'bouts ya be cappy? Maine a big state.

Please address all replies to messages from the Hillman List to:

     hillman@can-inc.com

This will assure that all members of this list will benefit from the
information in your reply.