[Shotimes] Oil in the plug tubes, etc.

Ron Nottingham nottingham@alltel.net
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:18:12 -0400

All you need are the plug well seals.  For a first timer it is about a 3
hour job.  You can just reuse the old plug well seals, and use black RTV to
seal the wells.  Some have done this with great success, but my experience
has only been somewhat successful, with it only lasting a few months before
oil found it's way back into the plug wells.  Might as well replace the
wires and plugs while you are in there.  ATX wires aren't cheap, but I think
the MTX wires will fit (some listers will correct me on this, I know :-)

Rocker arm gaskets?!?  Take your SHO elsewhere.  If they are refering to the
cam cover gaskets, they are reusable.  SHO's do not have rocker arms, as the
cams actuate the valves directly.

If you are going to do a 60k service (100k for you ATX guys), plan on a
weekend.  Parts will get expensive, though, but is worth it.

My susgestion, do the plug wells, and start buying the needed parts and find
a lister close by that has some experience and is willing to help.  You
didn't give your location, but if you are in the N. GA area, I could help.
Some of the parts needed for this service are: water pump, cam sensor, crank
sensor, timing belt, accessory belt(s), thermostat, radiator hoses, plugs,
wires, and shims (I don't know of any shim kits available, but some places
"rent" them).

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO