[Shotimes] 194 circuits

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:43:43 -0400

I am having some customs PCB's cut for 194 socket application. They are
designed to hold up to three LED's, two resistors and one diode. I will be
building complete units with yellow LED's for automotive use, white LED's for
license plate illumination, and customs color units for VDO gauges (and any
others that take 194 sockets).

Any electrically inclined persons interested in purchasing bare boards, email
me direct at jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Bare boards will be $2.50 each, and I will have plenty. I also have reasonable
prices on LED's, resistors, etc (for a non-bulk purchaser).

Before anyone asks, 194 sockets are where you plug in your front (side) turn
signals, license plate bulbs, and dash backlight bulbs on the SHO. Maybe the
front door lights, interior lamps, etc, too. VDO uses them to backlight their
gauges. Can someone confirm whether Autometer does the same?

Also, to answer another expected question:

Why kits for VDO?

I found that the light pipe assembly of the VDO gauges collect light at fairly
specific points. By aiming one color LED at one area, and two different color
LED's at two other areas, you get a different color needle than the gauge
face. Also, there are a lot more color options than the two bulb covers that
VDO provides, or the few colored bulbs you can find at stores.

Other information:

LED's, when used at mfg's recommended voltage, last hundreds of thousands of
hours. No filament to get broken under shock loading, no glass bulb to shatter
under thermal shock, etc. You will want to remove them and put them in your
2025 SHO...
Power consumption of these kits will be about 40mA. That's about 1/2W per
unit.
The color of the white LED's produces an effect similar to real HID. While
real HID puts out some excess blue light, white led's put out no yellow light.
The means is different but the effect is similar.

The kits can be used to light the warning indicators on the dash but not the
gauges. The gauges' piping assembly requires too much scattered light to be
able to properly setup and aim an LED. The only exception to this rule is if
you have EL gauges, in which case you could aim LED's to light ONLY the
needles.

David P

95MTX

~