[Shotimes] Dead 93 MTX

Steve Tatro stevetatro@att.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:08:24 -0400

2.  Anybody mention radiator.com?  Good prices, next-day service,
lifetime guarantee, free shipping.

3.  There are two separate gasket sets from Fel-Pro.  The Fel-Pro
MS94831 set includes the two metal intake-to-head gaskets and all of the
compressed fiber gaskets to allow disassembly and reassembly of the
entire intake manifold.  You can get the VS50378R for the six plug well
seals and valve cover gaskets.  On AutoZone.com you may need to look up
a '91, as some items don't reference properly when searching for a newer
SHO.

4.  Check for good OEM prices from www.fordpartsnetwork.com as well.

6.  To properly clean the intake, you should tear it all down, clean by
hand using Berryman's B-12 and a hose.  There's a good chance some
gaskets will be old and need to be replaced (especially if they're
original) so you might as well replace them.  FYI, I used 10 cans of
Berryman's when I cleaned my intake, which included complete
disassembly.

Also, although a LOT of people use synthetic oils, there has been some
(albeit inconslusive) evidence that synthetic oils can cause damage to
the cam lobes, as they'll wear instead of the shims.  I do not have any
data, proof or pictures to back this up, but it has been observed by
others.  I am simply regurgitating the information I've read.  There are
plenty of people who've done religious oil changes every 3-5k miles with
QUALITY dino oil (like me) whose engines are well over 250k miles (not
me yet).  I know the difference between dino oil and synthetics, and I
understand why people like synthetics.  I'm just relaying what I've been
told and what's been said by some (self-proclaimed) SHO experts.

Good luck,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 162k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.picturetrail.com/stevetatro

*** P.S.  Can you get me a good deal on some new furniture and ship it
to Ohio? ***