[Shotimes] Strange ATX behavior

Steve Tatro stevetatro@att.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:55:09 -0400

Are you saying it won't shift into its 4th gear or the torque convertor
won't lockup?  The TC lockup can feel like a totally different gear,
although the RPM drop (from personal experience) is only about
3-400rpms.  What controls the TC lockup is (indirectly) the temperature
of the tranny fluid, so it may take awhile, especially on cold mornings,
to feel this.

For example, with my '93 ATX, cruising at 80mph in OD is about 3100rpm
COLD but once warmed up (takes a few miles now that temps are
approaching 30-40F) drops to 2700rpm.  Unless you're somewhere in the
5000rpm at 80mph, you're in OD (or 4th gear, whatever).

I'm not definite at what tranny fluid temperature the TC finally decides
to lockup.  It's surely quite a bit lower than the optimal temp, as
others (with aux tranny fluid gauges) have noted that it may take 20
miles on the interstate for the fluid to finally reach it's peak
(optimal?) temperature.

If you're *sure* it's stuck in third gear, you may have a problem.

If your particular dealer is giving you the story that they can't fix
your problem unless it's reeealy broken, go out and do some high-rev
neutral drops.  That'll blow a hole in your tranny case the shop can't
ignore.

Oh, and don't assume that when your Coolant temp gauge is in the NORMAL
zone that your engine (oil) is warm...it's not ;^).

Later,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 162k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio