[Shotimes] (OT) Transmission prank from the Hillman List...

David Rosicke d.rosicke@snet.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 06:15:20 -0400

If you keep going down, also conversations about oil changes and the
importance thereof...

Dave R

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hillman@can-inc.com [mailto:owner-hillman@can-inc.com]On
Behalf Of Alkon
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 12:21 AM
To: Hillman List
Subject: Re: "Hillman - " Holbay head on 1725cc engine

This message forwarded by the Hillman List.

No 1 son cooked the motor in his Sigma, running with the oil light on.
This is after being instructed on the importance of regular checks on vital
fluids.
Really the fact that many modern cars run for years with little or no
maintenance is a credit to the manufacturers.
Most people replace tyres when the air shows through and figure out how to
lift the bonnet only when noises or smoke alert them to some distress in
that area.
I tend to do maintenance on a as needs basis, replace oil filters and oil
when it starts looking a bit "gluggy", replace air and fuel filters at the
same time.Probably a bit to casual about it all.
The other extreme was a Kiwi bloke I knew back in the early seventies who
had a factory maintenance chart for each of his cars on the garage wall, and
meticulously did each task at the allotted time.
Same chap came into my garage after the auto transmission in my Jag powered
Zephyr had expired (while being abused at the  track). We had pulled it all
apart on the floor, in the dirt, when he appeared I nudged my friend  and
said " can't see anything wrong here, lets put it back together and give it
another try" and we proceeded to shove all the bits back into the case. He
walked away shaking his head. Next we dragged a good spare transmission from
the back of the shed and installed in place of the blown one. Should have
seen the disbelieving look on his face when we drove out in the car later
that day.

Like modern electronics, modern cars run on magic smoke, cause when it
escapes they stop working.

Keith
55 Californian