[Shotimes] Changing strut mounts and bearings

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 06:23:03 -0700

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:06:41 -0500, Dave Kegel wrote:

>George, we're just trying to save you from yourself.  I mean, you ended up
>in the hospital changing little old rod bearings.  I'd hate to see what
>you'll do to your self balancing a 100 MPH tire.  LOL!

Ha!!  If you were going to save me from hurting my hands or arms balancing tires, you're
about 30 years too late.  I've been doing that since the '70s, when I learned to do it
while managing a Goodyear store.  I've scraped the skin off my palm, my forearm, and a
couple of fingers with tires....yes, it took a few dings to learn the right way to do it.
 I always use a jackstand (not just the jack), and I always wear gloves.   I picture the
jack failing while I have hold of the spring, and see my hand and forearm flying back out
from under the rear of the car (while I stare at the stump as I'm still kneeling at the
wheel).....not pretty!  I still haven't been hit in the face by a temporary weight flying
off as the tire goes around....they HAVE flown off, but in other directions, thank
goodness.

There always is the possibility of the wind from the tire grabbing my arm and pulling it
down into the tread, so I go in there VERY slowly and deliberately when I grab the
spring.  So far, so good.  (It was the Crown Vic that got my hand and arm...the layout of
the wheel/spring/axle are different, and harder to get hold of.)

Thanks for the thought!!  ;-)

(I know you're kidding!)

George