[Shotimes] First AutoX!

Michael Humbert humbem@rpi.edu
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:10:42 -0400

Hello all.  Just figured Id chime in and talk about my first autox
experience.  It was an event set up by the sports car club at my school,
and goddamn did they make it a tight course.  My speedo got up to a
whopping 40 mph (or so says my passenger), and that was on the only
straightaway of the course.  I was somewhat disappointed with my
performance.  It was tough to take the 90 degree turns, and I actually
ran over some cones the one time because I gunned it out of one such
turn a bit too early.  Front wheel drive is certainly unforgiving in
terms of power sliding, which is almost impossible to do (any
suggestions on this?).  I did very well on the slalom part of the
course, but I definitely need some suspension upgrades to tighten it up.
Its a shame I dont have the money to actually proceed with this
thought!  It was some good fun though.the first time Ive spun my tires
at any time other than street races or to show off the power of a SHO to
my surprised college friends.   I hope I still have tread left after my
last run because I just went to town with the gas!  That was awesome
though, definitely got a good laugh, though I was upstaged by a turbo
MR2 that did a 360.  Cant wait for the next one (anyone know of any
SCCA events in the Albany, NY area?)!

Mike Humbert
90 titanium SHO w/ 157k
Troy, NY