[Shotimes] First AutoX!

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:16:16 -0500

The advice to add air to the rear tires is wrong.  If what
you want to do is get the back end to come around, you need
to have the rear tires lower than the front.

If you have typical street tires, start with about 44 psi in
the front and 36 in the back.  See what happens.

When going into a tight corner, with FWD you have two
options if the car won't turn, you can get on the gas and
see if the front can pull the car around, but this works
better on high speed corners than autox corners.

The better solution is to left foot brake and stab the brake
  pretty hard.  This unloads the rear, loads the front.  The
front will bite better, and the rear may come around.  It is
a skill that takes a bit of practice, but on really tight
corners, I can get my 89 to rotate almost like a RWD with a
"hand brake" turn.

There is a good article on autocrossing the SHO coming out
in the new issue of the SHO Club magazine that will mail to
members in a couple of weeks.

Don Mallinson