[Shotimes] My Experience with Suspension Altering (long)....was: Lowering the SHO (sorta long)

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:24:52 -0500

George,

I have extensive experience with the Eibachs in both my
Gen I and my son's Gen II.

RE: variable rate.  I have never noticed any ill effects
from them in our SHO's.  The only noticeable effect is that
the car still rides somewhat decent on bad Illinois Roads.
if you live where the roads are billiard table smooth, you
can get away with stiffer single rate springs.  Some people
LIKE a super hard ride, I am not one of them.  I need a dual
purpose car, not a race car.  The SHO with Eibachs will
corner much flatter than with stock springs, will ride
similar to stock, and the lowering in the front is about
1.5", about all that you should want for street use.  For
most SHO's with sagging rear springs, the Eibach rears
actually raise the back a tiny bit, leaving the SHO either
level or slightly front down, a much better look than "back
down".

If you are taking corners hard with Eibachs, you should
never notice the "rate change" because all the motion will
be used up on the first motion.  Then you have a single rate
firm spring for the rest of the corner.

Again, if a race car is what you want, a single rate spring
will be better, but for a compromise (and all suspension
setups are a compromise, even in Formula 1, think Indy!) the
Eibachs are a super choice in the SHO.

I like my 89's ride with the Koni adjustables set soft.
With Tokico, at least till the struts wear in a bit, the
ride is firmer, but still acceptable.

Don Mallinson

 By the way, I have never tried