[Shotimes] A whole bunch of things got fixed

Rob Pittman rpittman@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:13:32 -0500

While doing a clutch job in my 90, I found the rear motor mount was in two
interlocked pieces.  Also, the front was nearly as bad.  I suspected the
front was bad since I had a polished spot on the intake, but I'd never
heard of a rear motor mount letting go like this one did.  I had been
having trouble with mild overheating (running in the "O" to "R" range), and
occasional CPS problems which I thought were due to the expansion tank
venting and blowing coolant back on the CPS.  I had previously replaced
every sensor that was coolant related, flushed the system, burped it when
filling, etc. The water pump was replaced three to four months ago and not
leaking.  The CPS was new, so I was getting pissed I'd put in a bad sensor
new from FoMoCo.  The car was also stumbling when starting from a dead
stop, which I was attributing to the old clutch getting grabby.  Also, the
expansion tank had broken loose from the bracket, which I repaired with
some J-B Weld (a new one was $86 from the stealership).

The old PP had five fingers broken, and the old TOB was missing half a
dozen balls out of the race.

After replacing the MMs, the car is running down in the "A" to "L" range
even in traffic, no CPS problems have recurred (knocking on wood
here),  and the hesitation has stopped.

I'm wondering if the engine was getting pitched at a weird angle, pinching
the lower radiator hose, and causing some type of overpressure situation in
the cooling system, making the car run hotter than normal and blowing
coolant out of the expansion tank.  With the motor at a weird angle, the
CPS may have been exposed to the blowback of coolant from the expansion
tank.  The CPS problems always seemed to happen at highway speeds.  Anybody
encountered anything similar?

Rob
90MTX, 92K