[Shotimes] Fw: Symantec Security Response information on: Jdbgmgr.exe_file_hoax

jp psykosis_fc@hotmail.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:31:12 -0500

its the Java Debug Manager; While I wouldn't call it essential, I wouldn't
exactly call it useless either.  The "certain programs" that use this is
Internet Explorer, versions later than 4.2 both with and with Java Virtual
Machine.  WinXP's GUI relies heavily on the IE kernel for alot of the
enhanced folder features such as file explorer backgrounds and such and is
turned on by default.  Explorer in XP uses it's own scripting language based
more on XML than Java, so the GUI itself should never need to use JDM unless
modifued to do so.  JDM handles out of library object calls by debugging the
Java Script that called it and creating a library def for the exceptioned
object....extremely rare when this happens, and would only be a problem if a
web applet was specifically coded to define and use custom non-standard
objects--only websites I know of in the public domain that does Fidelity
Investments and Aetna Healthcare in parts of their user account management
scripts.  If this is done at your company on purpose for their intranet to
enhance functionality or security, then you've most likely been denied
access to delete system files by the Domain Administrators.  WinME, WinNT2K
and WinXP home users won't be able to delete this file with File Protection
turned on (look at your System Event logs; It'll say something like "user
tried to delete protected system file...").

Before even checking a virus hoax website, find the file in question through
either a windows search or manually browsing to the file and right clicking
on it, and select properties.  Most of the time, if it's a Windows file, M$
is pretty good about documenting their Win32 stuff--after looking at a few
bazillion file property dialogs over the years, it's easy for me to spot an
ill-meaning file by properties dialogs alone, but they are pretty cryptic
and completely inconsistent in thier info.  in the case of jdgmgr, it was
very well commented.....

jeff