[Shotimes] Windshield Wipers

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:40:20 -0700

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:01:49 -0500, Dave Kegel wrote:

>The arms can be mounted correctly and still hit the a pillar.  This happens
>when the wiper motor wears out and gets play in it.  Moving the driver's arm
>down to the next position will cure it, but it may only be temporary.  It
>also puts pressure on the motor as it tries to park in the normal position,
>yet the arm is wedged against the stop.

OK....I don't deny all this can happen.  There has to be allowances made for wear.  On
the other hand, if the arm is adjusted so that the same amount of tension is applied by
it against the rests on the cowl, there would be even less chance of it hitting the A
pillar if there is wear in the linkage.  You could PULL it over there with your hand if
the power was off with the wiper at the top of its travel, but the slop you are
describing would in fact tend to have it be FARTHER AWAY from the A pillar, not closer to
it, when the arm was being driven by the motor with the slop in it.

The best one can do to keep things working correctly is to assemble/adjust/maintain them
as close to the factory settings/positions/alignments as possible.

;-)

George