[Shotimes] Heater Core ?s.

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:57:32 -0500

Heikki,

Paul's advice about refurbishing the heater hoses was good.

To replace the core, you have to at least dismount the heater box, if not
remove it entirely from the car.  This is not rocket science but it will
take a lot of time --- figure a weekend.  In my case, two.  You have to
dismount the steering column and dash, and pull the dash rearward about a
foot.  Lots of bolts and screws --- make sure you have a system for keeping
them organized with information about where they came from.  The heater box
is mounted to the firewall with three studs, so you have to remove three
nuts on the engine side (two up, one from underneath).  If your car still
has a living AC system, it will  need to be evacuated, dis/reconnected, and
refilled.  Make sure you have a Helms shop manual.

If all this makes you think about taking the car into some shop, be prepared
for a big bill, because there are a lot of labor hours in this job.
Something like $800.

While you are doing the heater core, I would suggest you consider a new
blend-door motor.  Motor failure occurs regularly among older Tauri, and
like the heater core, it requires pulling the dash.

Joseph van Oss