[Shotimes] T-Bird Turbocoupe T5's and more!

Mark Nunnally manunnal@netheaven.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:40:11 -0500

>What kind of power potential do the stock 3.0L cams have?

    A lot.  More than everybody probably thinks.  Not sure why the stock
cams are so eagerly tossed in a lot of applications.

>What kind of power are you making Mark?  What kind of
> power are N/A stock cam SHO's putting to the tire?

    216hp/215 tq, n/a with a 3.2L.  But the torque curve is pretty fat, with
a stock intake it's pretty grunty even off idle.  With the 40/36 nitrous
jetting, I don't know,  haven't dyno'd the the nitrous yet.  But it runs the
same ET's and mph as the old car did, and is 400 lbs heavier.  I would say
in cool air it's probably making 300+ ft/lbs at the wheels on the juice.
The stock cams won't make a lot of torque at high rpm like higher
lift/duration cams will, so the "peak" hp number is a lot lower, on paper
looks wimpy compared to the big boys, but the stock intake and cams make a
lot of grunt from 2k-6k, an IMHO that's where it's at.

    The highest torque at the wheels I've ever seen is on a supercharged SHO
running stock cams (mark meller).

> Am I in dreamland, or is this being realistic?  1 bar added approx. 100 hp
> to the 2.3L, so I should be in the ballpark, right?

    Oh I think it would be do-able.  I would start with a 3.2L block though,
bigger rods and piston pins and more cubes to start with.  Under boost a
3.2L block w/ 3.0L cams would be a tractor motor from 2k-6.5k.

>BTW, anyone know what Ransom is running?  How much boost,
> other mods, and how much hp and torque?

    Ransom has one of those sho shop catalog cars like Josh <g>  I think
he's running a combo of stage 1/2 cams and a load of boost (like josh).
With stage 2 cams, ported heads and intake work, it lends itself to make
it's peak torque at high rpm, awesome peak hp numbers.  With ransom doing
his top speed stuff, he needs it all up top.  A stock cam'd motor probably
wouldn't be for him.  For street/strip, IMHO it's the way to go.

mark