[Shotimes] Block heater

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@mindspring.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:36:46 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Paul L Fisher
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 8:33 AM
To: 92SHO
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Block heater

<snip>

>My personal experience is that when you put a block heater in, they usually
>leak after a year or 2. You could get a heated dipstick which will work
almost
>as good. Another thing would be to put a good quality 0W30 oil in (Mobil 1
and
>Amsoil sell them).

I worked for a machine tool company that developed (in conjunction with
Mobil) several types of low friction lubricants.  While I was working with
the scientists from Mobil I was picking their collective brains.  They told
me the the friction modifiers that are used in motor oil become unstable if
they have more than a 20 point spread ( like 10W-30 is only twenty)  I have
discussed this with sales reps from other oil companies and they agree with
the Mobil guys.

>A even more temporary/cheaper alternative is put a drop light with a 100W
>light bulb under the hood hooked up to a timer. Have the timer turn on 1-2
>hours before you plan on starting the car.

Since heat rises...  I might suggest placing it under the pan instead of
under the hood.  After all, we ARE trying to heat the oil, not the hood
blanket!

:-}

Jim

'93 MTX