[Shotimes] Block heater--- now dino oil vs. synthetic

BJamesjr@aol.com BJamesjr@aol.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:05:29 EST

>What was not indicated to qualify that particular guru's statement was the
>service history of the cars in question.

>Since many synthetic oil users run extended change intervals, there is no
>real way to determine if the shim failures were due to oil failure or from
>failure to change the oil before it broke down.

When Mobil 1 first came out, around 1980, I put it in a new car that I had.
It boosted my gas mileage about 15% immediately.  However about 12,000 miles
later my camshaft went.  I remember the Mobil 1 advertising was that the oil
was good for 25,000 miles.  The dealer told me that the oil was OK but I
still had to change it every 3,000 miles and the camshaft went because the
oil wasn't changed frequently enough.  I didn't believe them entirely but
there might be some small amount of truth to it.