[Shotimes] Block heater

Fr. Tom Knoblach stjoeber@wcta.net
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:34:15 -0600

I installed a factory block heater in my '94 MTX when I rebuilt the engine
this summer. Living in MN with two vehicles and one small garage, and often
having someone else's car in there in various stages of repair, it seemed
like a wise choice.

I used the frost plug on the left (front ... or radiator side) bank nearest
the timing belt ... between cylinders 4 and 5. The Ford shop manual says
nothing at all about it; nor do any other manuals or auto parts catalogs ...
all they say is "mount in frost plug hole." But not where, in what "o'clock"
position, etc. So whether I did it "right" or not, I am not sure.

If memory serves, the proper heater is 40 mm. No leaks so far.

It is much easier to install when all that is left in the car is the block
itself, of course ... but I believe it could be done by removing the y-pipe
and the exhaust manifold on that bank. Getting room to swing a hammer to a
punch to knock out the frost plug is the hardest part. I mounted mine at 6
o'clock, and tied the cord up to avoid the manifold and of course, any
moving parts. Be sure to use a little oil on the O-ring to avoid cutting it
when installing, and snug but do not overtighten the heater in the block (or
as my father used to say, tighten it until it strips and then back it off
half a turn).

Hope this helps.

Tom Knoblach