[Shotimes] FW: "Hillman - " (OT) V8 SHO woes..!Q

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:40:34 -0600

I would just offer that style is a very personal thing.  The
car sold well in the US, and is aging much more gracefully
than many other highly styled cars.  I didn't like the looks
when they first came out in '95, but by the time I took over
the club, I decided I had to get to know the Gen III cars.
So I bought a nice used '96 and the rest is history.  It is
one super fine automobile.  With the exception of the cam
issue (a major one, but fairly easily solved with
pre-emptive welding or pinning) the V8 seems more dependable
than the V6 up to 100,000 miles.

As for style, if anyone keeps an open mind and starts
looking at the quality of build, the smooth surfaces and the
thought that went into virtually every square inch of the
Gen III Taurus (and the much better looking SHO variant!),
most people start to like them.  The Gen III was like the
Gen I in 1995, WAY ahead of its time.  Ford should have used
the GEN IV body at first and then gone to the GEN III style
for the newer one, it would have been accepted easier!

I like all three generations, but there are people that
hated them all. Many people love them all, as I do. As for
Australia, there is a lot to admire about the down under
continent, but car build quality isn't one of them, friends
of mine in the industry say I should not jump to buy the new
GTO until I verify if it still has the awful Holden quality!

I say all those V8 owners with smiles say that the V8 is a
pretty good machine.

Don Mallinson