[Shotimes] Frank's emissions concerns

Marlene Doyle snowwind1990@yahoo.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:26:20 -0800 (PST)

Having just recently gone through this I may comment.
1991 SHO..Failed on NOx initially.
did the following:
with 4-5 gals remaining in gas tank, added 1 container
of Berryman's octane boost..about 102 octane.  Run for
15 mins. at speeds over 55 and heated up the cats.  Go
in for test where there are no others waiting so the
cats are still hot.
Tricky part:  Texas standard calibration for the
fast/idle test proved to be way off for 1991.  Had the
technician custom calibrate his reader to 1991, and we
were set to GO..failed fast speed levels by 41 pts,
but passed idle test....
Overall failed test for safety reasons, the tires were
too worn...but that is another story.  I asked the
local club members in Houston for a one time use of
decent tires and I would return them the same day,
just for the test and every single one of them refused
to help me out( admittedly I only asked two members,
but I thought they may spread the word)...,so I have
to go through the test again.  I do not doubt the
octane boost, and proper calibration, assisted, but
the biggy was the hot, hot, cats.

Personal update:  On the way( two days after the test
)to get the somewhat used tires from a dealer, Barts
alternator and battery went south....so I am doing the
r and r myself and cleaning and painting the tray and
engine bay and taping and the change is overwhelming.
Sorry for the personal rant, but somethings just need
to be said.
Doing fine on my own in Houston, Marlene and
Bart(Snowwind is exempt and waived from emissions
thank the good Lord)