[Shotimes] OT - Selling a car

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:10:37 -0400

And it's really not that big a deal. Actually, I thought there was also a
$5K reporting limit. This gets done all the time, as there are many
businesses that deal in that much, or more, cash every day.

BTW, is the reporting to the IRS, or to the OCC/OTS/other required Fed
agency? I never got involved with that end either, just had to have the
system set up to flag it.

From: Ryan M Dudek [mailto:rmdudek@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 11:18 AM
To: Paul L Fisher; 'V8SHO'; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] OT - Selling a car

Yes, as a stipulation under the banking privacy act (BPA - I believe ~1980,
but I'm not a teller so I really didn't pay attention in that part of
training) any transaction over $10,000 must be reported to the IRS.  It is
designed as a means to curtail and catch money laundering schemes. No forms
to be filled out by the depositor, rather the bank automatically sends the
info to the IRS most often without the customer having any idea.
Additionally, in most large banks, any deposit over $3000 is flagged and
sent for deposit review.

Ryan Dudek
98 Black
Retail Banking Officer