[Shotimes] Quick informal survey of Mobil 1 users

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 17:14:11 -0400

>From what I can tell, my '94 MTX has had Mobil 1 5w-30 used for the first
170K miles, and most assuredly since 127K (when Randy Smith bought it). It
has 172K on it now.

No oil leaking past the front or rear seals.

The car was using a quart every 800 miles, even for a long highway trip
(where I measured it.....I bought the car with 168K).

It appears to be valve seals. Valvoline 10-30 MaxLife went in before the
Convention, and a quart lasted for almost exactly 1,000 miles after the
Caravan, Blackhawk, and the drags. As of two days ago, I had gone 798 miles
since adding that quart in Madison, and it is only 1/2 quart down. Looks
like it could go 1,600 miles on a quart.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Carl Prochilo
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 3:30 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Quick informal survey of Mobil 1 users

Seems like people needs something to talk about, so here is a question for
people who are using Mobil 1 in their SHOs.  The criteria to answer this is
as follows.

1)  Gen 1 or Gen 2 SHO.  ATX or MTX is okay.  (want this focused
specifically on the Yamaha.)
2)  Car has over 80K miles, and
3)  You've been using Mobil 1 for more than 20K miles.

So the question is, does your motor leak oil past any of the seals as
evidenced by excessive oil consumption or stains below the car.  I'm curious
to know either way.

History:  I know of two cars that have had leaks using synthetic oil.  My
original 3.0L is one of them.  At 90K I made the switch.  I don't remember
exactly when the leaks started, but start they did.  Engine was real messy
on the bottom end.  Top end was clean.
Mobil 1 is presently advertising that engines using their product will cause
virtually no wear at 200K miles.  This seems appealing on the surface given
the problems associated with typical rod bearing failures on these motors,
however I'm highly suspicious that Mobile 1 will accelerate leaks from
seals.

Cheers,
Carl Prochilo
92 Ultra Red Crimson