[Shotimes] Re: (OT) Followup - The Driver's Edge

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:38:27 -0400

Thanks, Joseph.

Don't know if it made the national news or not, but last week there were 8
young teens in a minivan in Fowlerville (far NW suburb of Detroit), and it
was driven by a kid who just got his license a few days earlier. Kid lost
control, and hit trees. Four kids are dead, and all got injured.

Weird accident, the van slid on it's side, and hit a tree with the
windshield, which caved it in back to the middle seats. No alcohol involved,
but speed was a factor.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of van Oss
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 6:04 PM
To: TechSHO@topica.com; Shotimes
Subject: [Shotimes] Re: (OT) Followup - The Driver's Edge

My son Patrick (16) and I went to the course yesterday in Chicago.  Wow!
There was little lecture.  They moved surprisingly quickly to cars. The
school uses Camaros (3.8L auto) for the skid exercise on wet pavement, and
BMW 325s for an exercise in ABS braking and evasion.  Each kid gets two
tries at each exercise.  It's enough.  Patrick managed the Camaro well
enough to slide but not spin.  He now officially has more BMW seat time than
his old man.  He'd previously done ABS stops with me, but it was good to
have a professional corroborate what I taught him.

There was a powerful video about teens killed in a car accident --- standard
scare tactics in any driver ed course, so Pay ignored it, right?  Well, then
a pretty young girl stood up, setting aside her crutches, and spoke about
what it was like, being in the back seat of that car.  It was an
extraordinary moment.

If you have a teen driver, Driver's Edge is something you should do.  Yes,
it's only a half day and yes, the behind-the-wheel time is only a few
minutes and yes, it's free and yes, it's no more than a foretaste and yes,
you'd need a day or two at a professional driving school to really start
building true skill.  DE was about opening eyes, and it accomplished that.

There's another SCCA autocross in La Crosse on September 13.  Pat will be
able to participate and that will be the next step in his driver education.
Then, some time on Lake Onalaska this winter.  I'm looking forward to seeing
his reaction to the contrast (same car) between BFG R1's on dry clean
pavement, and all-season radials on ice.

Joseph van Oss