[Shotimes] 60,000 mile check -- tools and supplies

Al Fitz Al Fitz" <alfitz@alfitz.com
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:06:53 -0800

As a matter of fact I do have some ideas on the 60K.

I have a very different view of most other SHO enthusiasts when it comes to
the 60K. I own more SHOs than anyone ever has with the exception of FORD and
my experience tells me that the 60K can be done in a very different way than
is recommended.

First of all I would not replace the timing belt, water pump, or CPS unless
they failed. I have cars with over 200K that have the original parts still
installed.
You may be inconvenienced if they should quit while away from home, but
chances are they won't fail for a very long time. I any of those three parts
fail, then do all three of them.

I also wouldn't bother checking the valve clearances either. I know I'll
hear a bunch of shit about that but it is so unusual to find one that needs
re-shimmed if the car has had regular oil changes.

Replace the intake and valve cover gaskets, plugs, and wires and you will
save a bunch of time and money in the long run While you're changing the
valve cover gaskets, check your valves for your own piece of mind, but they
probably will be within specs.

Al Fitz
alfitz@alfitz.com
SHO Parts at
http://www.alfitz.com/sho
PLEASE INCLUDE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL IN YOUR REPLY