[Shotimes] Failing Cam Timing chain tensioner sound?

Bruce Malachuk bmalach1@nycap.rr.com
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 00:42:16 -0500

Yeah mine sounds like about 2700ish to 4000 then the noise on the engine
itself drones out everything else.

Bruce Malachuk

94 Opal Frost MTX

93 Black ATX soon to be parts

93 Green MTX - black interior...a turd with wheels right now

-----Original Message-----
From: van Oss [mailto:vanOss@centurytel.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 12:29 AM
To: Bruce Malachuk; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Failing Cam Timing chain tensioner sound?

I believe my 91 winter SHO (140K +) is making worn-front-cam-chain-tensioner
noise.  I have traced the sound to that area using a mechanic's stethoscope.
I describe is as a ticking sound, and it occurs in a specific RPM range,
maybe 2300-ish to 3300-ish.  Mallinson says changing the tensioner didn't
fix it for him.  Maybe it's slop in the chain itself?

VO