[Shotimes] 60,000 mile check -- tools and supplies

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:13:23 -0800

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 21:54:37 -0500, Ron Porter wrote:

>My thing with the timing belt is that it's the only part of the maintenance
>that can leave you stranded if it goes out.

Logical and agreed.  It can be checked very easily, and it can be determined if it
is beginning to age.  The teeth on the business side have sharp edges, and they will
remain that way until it is beginning to get tired.  Removing the top third of the
belt cover is easy and allows a thorough check of the belt over a lot of its length.
 When the teeth begin to have rounded edges, it's time to change it.  You can also
check for stretch by rotating the engine around til the marks on the damper and
sprockets line up.

George