[Shotimes] Alignment SPec Suggestions

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@peoplepc.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 00:05:33 -0600

Grant:
 I have pretty close to your setup on my 93 ATX. A coupla questions first.
Have you had an alignment done before? I found the eccentric bushings give a
pretty limited amount of adjustment. My other 93 ATX, with stock springs and
struts, needed one and still is just barely in the factory range for camber.
I have the GM control arms on my car and it really is the correct solution.

 In the front, pull the subframe as far forward as you can using the
alignment holes and pointy pry bars. Get the front of the car in the air,
not supported using the subframe, and loosen the 4 subframe bolts. The
alignment holes are in the front section of the subframe. You might not get
any movement here but wiggle the bars back and forth to get the subframe
moving a little. This gives the most caster. It will help keep you from
having to grind the top of the strut tower to get more. Do this at home
before taking it to the shop.

 Have you raised the steering rack? This is next on my list, not done yet.
Takes 14mm Full Height Hardened washers. 2 washers per mounting stud. I
found hardened washers at Lowes, in their specialty hardware section. They
have a good bit of stainless hardware too.

 The FAQ has alignment spec's and Doug Lewis has also posted his
recommendations. These are somewhat different than the stock specs.

Front                    Left                   Right
Camber               -.09                   -.09
Caster                 +4.0                  +4.5
Toe In                 -.08                   -.08

Rear
Camber               -1.8                   -1.8
Toe In                 +0.14                -0.14

If your car is normal you won't get all/any these numbers without some
tweaking. The guy doing the alignment needs to know what he is doing and
that you are picky. But most of them are very lazy. They get paid by the job
and not by how good the job was done! In the end it's a compromise and the
alignment guy should know which way to adjust it. I found a great alignment
shop through my local SCCA group. He races and is one of the teachers for
the yearly SCCA driving school each spring.

 Have you considered strut tower braces and subframe connectors(Unibody
stiffeners)?

I found with the 96 brake upgrade that stainless steel brake hoses are very
worthwhile addition. Also get the rear brake plugs.
Good Luck!
.
.
.