[Shotimes] Intermittent clutch trouble

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:42:22 -0500

David;
Let's rule out a few things first.
Hopefully the flywheel was new (or resurfaced) and the pressure plate
was new. If not ......
Hopefully you did not slip the clutch a lot and warp the new setup, like
with 3000 rpm hole shots.
The only other possible mechanical items are a bent clutch fork
(unlikely unless the prior clutch blew) or the clutch fork cross shaft
bushings. Did you replace these, they are a heavy wear item.
Contrary to popular opinion, I do not believe the clutch cable
stretches, but it can get bent and/break where it attaches to the clutch
fork by rough handling. Check there.
That being checked, it leaves your adjuster. I never found mine to
adjust out all the slop very well. The adjuster basicaly controls the
spot off the floor where the clutch grabs, and can be manually adjusted.
It should grab halfway. 3-4 inches up sounds about right. Any lower and
it will probably creep. any higher and it might slip.

You can manually adjust it like this:
7 inch block of wood under pedal to unlock adjuster.
Pull cable out of clutch fork with fingers. Check for stickyness, grabs,
etc (frayed cable).
Check for some adjuster spring tension, sometimes it slips off during a
clutch job.
Pull it out 1/2 inch and have second person remove block of wood.
You should now have 1/2 inch slack in cable, causing clutch to grab
almost on the floor.
If you pull up on  pedal auto adjuster should take up all the slack, but
mine refused to.
With thumb on blue plastic adjuster inside, you push with thumb and pull
pedal up at same time and basically set pedal height anywhere you
choose. You should hear a loud click for each adjust.
It took 2-3 clicks to remove my 1/8 in. slop between the clutch cable
bushing and the tranny housing.
Don't set the grab height too high or it will slip under power.
If changing the grab height has no effect on you problem, it's internal.
If you pull up on the pedal with your toe, it will go back to the auto
setpoint.
Good luck.
After all it is a SHO clutch!
Lee