[Shotimes] Starter woes

Robert Bruce rbruce@bellatlantic.net
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:47:39 -0500

Sometimes I wish you folks wouldn't post discussions on some topics.  Or
maybe I just shouldn't read those posts.  I normally don't hold much value
in karma, luck or any such belief.  But my started died today.  Gee, thanks.

Luckily I have a great shop in town that will rebuild it.  I will have it
back & installed by this time tomorrow.

Robert Bruce
93 atx

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of George Fourchy
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 3:22 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Starter woes

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:32:09 -0600, Mike Kopstain wrote:

>Perhaps neither, but when the solenoid goes out (most common part to fail
in
>the starter) it's much easier to replace the fender mounted solenoid, than
>the whole starter motor.

In addition to this, and more important to me (since the hazard is there all
the
time, vs. replacing a solenoid once in 15 years), is the fact that all 700
amps of
the battery's current is going to the starter ALL the time, down there where
you
can't get to it, and where it goes past all kinds of sharp edges and other
hazards,
like exhaust manifolds, road debris, etc.  If a cable gets its insulation
rubbed
through, or maybe it might touch the exhaust pipe for a while, look at all
the
problems you can have.  I'd MUCH rather have the solenoid up where it is
visible,
clean, and free from hazards.  I know the hot cable goes from one side, down
across
the center, and up again, but at least there are no connections down there.

Back in the '80s I converted my '68 GTO to a Ford type system for this
reason....the
factory setup has the hot battery cable going through a hole in the exhaust
manifold, down to the starter, through a little hole about half again as big
as the
cable.  That's looking for trouble, in my opinion.

I'd convert every car I had, that I'd expect to have to work on, to this
system.....I don't like starter mounted solenoids.  (Don't expect to have to
work on
the Lexi)

By the way....I get lifetime NAPA starters for $70 exchange.  I get them
(and
alternators) rebuilt locally for $50.

George