[Shotimes] major charging problem (long)

Bobby Campbell bcampbell10@woh.rr.com
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:47:59 -0500

    Went out a few weeks back and for the first time since getting my 93atx I
had to use the key to get into it. The battery was completely dead after
sitting for 3 days. Not being a electrical wiz, I recharged the battery and
kept the cables disconnected. After charging I let it sit for a few days and
it held charge so I drove it up to autozone and had them check the charging
system. It's only about 4 miles there from my house but it was dark and had to
run lights so about halfway there things systems in the car started shutting
down. First to go was the anti-lock braking and the lights got real dim. I
made it there though and popped the hood before going in with the engine
running. Big mistake as I forgot the doors were locked and when we came out I
couldn't get into my own car. Forcing the throttle closed as much as it would
go killed the engine and they much appreciated by me charged the battery back
up to get me home. Everything worked again after charging but I barely made it
home. They said I made it there on about 7 volts left in the battery. Took it
up again in the daytime not having to run the lights and made it ok so they
checked the system and it put out over 14 volts so the charging system was
working. Got it home and recharged the battery and had a buddy check for
amperage draw pulling each fuse under the hood and under the dash with no
change on the meter.
     A little history...the antenna seemed to have a mind of it's own back in
the early summer and would go up and down with the radio not even turned on.
It seemed to clear up on it's own, as it quit doing that around Sept. Don't
know if that had anything to do with it but I'm just about out of ideas. About
the only thing I do know is the battery and alternator are working right, it
seems to have a draw on the battery that kills it in about 2-3 days though.
Any ideas would be helpful before I totally give up on it and take it to the
local stealership and let them have a go at it.
    Thanks in advance