[Shotimes] End Links

Ron Childs rbchilds@pacbell.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:36:37 -0800 (PST)

I have to chime in here. An anti-roll bar on a car with a solid rear axle is not a torsion bar type. The type on our SHOs will only work with IRS. The rear anti-roll bar on a car with a live axle will connect from the axle on one side of the car, diagonally to the body on the other side. The bar can pivot at either end but it increases roll resistance because most of the sideways rolling force is in line with the length of the bar. (Hard to explain without a picture.) (I'm not sure but is this a Panhard rod?)

In any case, as Don and others have explained, the bar on SHOs will twist when there is a difference between the left & right wheels but will not when both wheels are at the same level (unless it is improperly connected to the suspension.)

-Ron Childs  '91

Kirk Doucette <Kirk.doucette@verizon.net> wrote:
Than I guess you never been under the car. Because if you read what I
wrote.. the endlinks pos on the strut does not change, therefore it does the
SAME thing.. because they nor Ford never made the bar long enough for PROPER
mounting of the endlinks.. I whish you still had the Pontiac where you could
look at those ones and see that they are straight up and down..

Next time you in one of my newly added favorites garages (your friend down
the st) look under one of those beauties and tell me what you see.

Can you say ASSumed over here? LOL

Kirk J Doucette
NESHOC President
Stormtrooper-97 White

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On
Behalf Of Donald Mallinson
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 12:07 AM
To: SHOTIMES
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] End Links

Kirk,

The only thing I have against harder aftermarket bushings is
they quite often squeek, and unless you have a race car or
live where there are super smooth roads all the time, they
make the car too harsh for me. But you ASSumed something
that was never in my comments. Your bad.

A shorter endlink will NOT do the same thing as a two
different mounting holes on the end of the sway bar.
Shortening the end of the sway bar WAY increases tortion
stiffness or resistence to twisting. Shorter lever, more
resistance. Putting on a shorter link does not change the
geometry enough to make the same kind of difference.

totally different effect. Had enough math classes and
engineering to know that for a fact.

Nobody here with a modest knowledge of suspensions will be
surprised that a sway bar stiffens up if you take out all
the factory compliance from the soft rubber bushings. Duh! :)

Don Mallinson

Kirk Doucette wrote:

> Than I guess that your against the TPR bushings that are widely sold now..
> installed a set (front and rear0 and could not twist the bar at all by
hand.
> But they now seem to be the "better" replacement over Polyurethane.
>
> Like Robert said, if you or anyone goes out and looks at your endlinks
they
> are in a factory bind position. Endlinks should be totally vertical, that
> you learn in SUSP 101, for a correct handling car the endlinks should be
> vertical, and the swaybar eyelets should be horizontal in a perfect world
or
> on every other car but a Taurus.. Ford made the mounts to shallow an they
> already pull the endlinks at this type of angle Drivers \ Passenger
/
> causing the bar Epically a thick bar like the 26 to be in a 100 percent
all
> the time bind. That's also how they made the ride that much softer in the
> G3, the puny bar 19mm bends and contorts very easily causing it to BIND
less
> and giving a much more comfortable ride.
>
> The stock endlinks too are thin, and use a soft rubber bushing from the
> factory. Both of which flex a lot. Anyone reading this just add HD
endlinks
> and notice a difference in the stiffness of the car? I bet you did. Every
> wonder why when you change out endlink bushings they are squished to one
> side?
>
> And one other thing.. Someone get a pen and write this down as the Biggest
> day in SHO history.. The 29mm bar from the SS was designed to have
> different mounting holes for this reason it had two sets of eyelets to
> position the bar. The rear most would accomplish the same thing as the
> shorter endlinks. A stiffer and better handling car, The first and only
> thing (IMO) Upgrade that ever came out of there that was designed almost
> properly. But 29mm is way to stiff.
>
> Plus one other thing, the 26mm bar I have found to be inconsistent in
length
> and pitch of the eyelets. Mine and Christians are totally different bars,
> and even the one on my 91 has a steeper pitch than both of the others..
Its