[Shotimes] New engine for 92 MTX SHO

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 07:22:25 -0500

I am sure that my 95 MTX costs less than $7k now. I bought it for $8k flat
two years back. Even at just above 70k miles, it is in no way worth it to
pay as much or more for a motor, in ANY condition, for this car, and I can't
imagine it being worth it for any of the older models. It would be a better
financial decision to take the fund and purchase a backup SHO, because you'd
have the entire car for parts, or for driving while the other SHO gets
repaired, and this is for those that can't fix their own cars as well. It
does a hell of a lot of good to put in even a brand-new motor when the rest
of the car is not. Sure, the motor is new, but anything else can break down,
so unless you meticulously maintain your entire car, and put in a new tranny
as well, a new motor gives no guarantees of a car that will be there every
day. I do maintain my own cars meticulously as far as driving condition is
concerned, but even so, things creep up, like the CEL I'm getting for the
O2's now, and the failing brake fluid switch. Could just as easily be a  CKP
sensor.

Which, brings up a new question (of which I already know the answer because
I READ their damn info) ~ Does Jasper provide all those failure-prone
sensors you find around the motor? Do they even provide a new oil pump? On
ANY foreign motor?

I emailed one of the shops I use locally, and he said that he'd charge
around $2000 for the same work. Now, you only get a one-year warrantee, but
you don't have to use his shop to install the motor, and he doesn't care
what it goes into, as long as the motor is not used in a dedicated race car.

And, lastly, is this dumb-ass who didn't read Jasper's site (me, apparently)
the only one that has noticed that they specify in their exception warranty
(18 months or 75k miles) ANY VEHICLE THAT EXCEEDS 1 TON??? Sure, it's listed
with such things as Ambulances and transit vehicles, but they do not specify
that the one ton rule applies to those types of vehicles. Now, since even a
long ton is only 2240Lbs, this means nearly every car on the road falls
under this exception. I'm guessing that this is a loophole intended to allow
Jasper to easily slip out of warrantee coverage when they feel like it.
Either that, or they are really stupid and meant to indicate any vehicle
with a load rating over one ton. Either way, every time I look at their
info, I am less and less impressed with them.

David P

95MTX

~