[Shotimes] Parking brake

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:57:55 -0500

Yes, it seems backwards, but what you are doing is correct. What I've seen
happen on many cars is this: after the cable splits, one side sticks inside
the cable housing. When this happens, the other side cable will
"mysteriously" have too much slack when the PB is not set. I'd disconnect
the driver's side PB cable and see if it moves freely or not inside the
cable housing. I'm betting solidly that it won't. Since it is moving a bit
(driver's caliper engages slightly), you may be able to save the cable by
working some PB blaster into the cable housing, followed by brake cleaner,
then lubricant.

I've been suggesting for years a method of lubrication for these cables that
us cyclists like to use on our chains and brake cables. They have paraffin
wax lubricants that you melt and dip your chains/cables in. Dirt does not
stick to the wax and it is highly water resistant. Will cost you $20 to
order some of the good stuff online or pickup at a local shop if you've got
any real cycling shops in town, but I've used it several times on
almost-frozen PB cables with excellent results. It's a little hard to apply
(pour over cable as you pull cable through housing), but it seems to seal up
the ends of the cable and prevent further problems by keeping out the water.
Do NOT use the spray-on wax as it is not any better than a regular
lubricant.

David P

95MTX

~