[Shotimes] Re: When did H3 HID hit the market? Fogs..headlamps..color

Herman Anker heranker@rogers.com
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 20:01:05 -0500

I don't see how an average fog light will be any better for what it is ment for using an HID bulb. Fog lights are designed for fog. Even a 55W bulb is borderlining too bright in fog.....
I assume what you really want is better headlights, but realized that there are nothing on the marked and went for a fog lamp and use them as aux low beam. (The Hella XL and Sylvania Xenarc X1010 are in this group). Some fog lamps might be used as aux. low beam, but having too many lumens will only lit up more right in front of the SHO, and thats not where you want to see. It seems like you have found an exception, David.

A 35W HID bulb made by Philips or Osram (no comment on other manufacturers) has the same lumens as a 130-160W halogen bulb.

H3 HID kits as been avail for many years from less serius manufacturers. I find that any H3 kit manufacturer is unseriuos because success rate is low. The arc will never match the filament of H3 - see my faq on this page: http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/special-topics.htm

Higher colortemp than 4100K will have less lumens output and less advantages in wet or foggy weather. I havnt even bothered trying.

I have heard of one Catz application where halogen bulb was mounted vertical. Any attempt to insert an HID bulb would be very short lived. D2 bulbs are desgined to work horisontaly pluss/minus 10 degrees. Outside this specs, pinch will overheat.

I definatly agree, if LED techonlogy progresses as it has so far, we will have LED headlamps in 3-4 years. In the meantime, centralized HID lightsource combined with fibreoptic cables will arrive.

--

'95 ATX  ~139 000 km
Mods&Service page: http://hanker.tripod.com/sho.htm