[Shotimes] Supercharging

Bill Murray fordsho@cloud9grafx.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 03:16:11 -0500

Go to shotimes and read the mods that the featured super shos have done
to them.  Most of those mods are done to support the supercharger.  You
won't be able to just spend $4,000 on a kit from the SHO SHOP and that
be the end of it.  You'll also need a Quaife, brake upgrade, full
suspension, Z-rated tires, gauges, and some sort of tuning device(LPM,
ScTuner would probably be better) and time on a dyno.  That all will add
up to over $4000 in just "support" mods and tuning.  There are a few
people on the shoforum that aren't on this list that have blowers and
experience in dealing with the.  Fred Hurder has a lot of knowledge and
also some bad luck with his setup, and he could give you a lot of tips
and advice.  A supercharger can be an awesome thing, a friend of mine
sold his blown SHO due to all the headaches, time, and money it was
taking to keep it running.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Michael Humbert
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 2:50 AM
To: IdriveaSHO@aol.com
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Supercharging

No offense taken.  I understand what you are saying, and agree with much
of it.  As of now, the motor runs flawlessly, but is leaking oil from a
few seals.  As I am going to be partially dismantling much of the motor
anyway, I figured it would be a good time to consider the possibilities.
I already have all of the seals, including the head gaskets, so that
isn't a concern.  True, it will be tough to get the car running
perfectly after changing some of the major parts that drive its
functioning, but I feel that with enough thought, research, and time
spent on it anyone should be able to get it right.  It is with this
mindset that I have been thinking about this matter.

I appreciate what the car can do in its current state, and enjoy it a
great deal.  I have simply been thinking about how it could be made
better, and a glaring opportunity is by increasing the power with a
supercharger.  Even if the smallest amount of boost is used, say a
maximum of 6 psi, 40% more air can make its way into the engine and
performance increases will be apparent.  This is where my concerns come
though, as increasing the amount of air will obviously affect the moving
parts inside the motor.  The only obvious (to me) parts to change are
the pistons as they will have a huge amount of pressure placed on them
if more air is introduced but the compression ratio remains the same.
This is why I wanted to get some advice on what else might need to be
changed as I am by no means a car expert.

I thank your input on the lack of diff pins.  I did not even think about
the need to beef up the transmission and differential as mine has never
given me a problem (will a Quaife solve the problem of the lack of diff
pins???).  My clutch will need to be replaced, I'm sure, as it has about
60K on it, 30K of that with a bad throwout bearing.  Adding some more
torque will certainly exacerbate its problems quite a bit.  Basically,
at the current time I am making a checklist of what will need to be done
to have the project go smoothly and without any unanticipated problems.
In a worst case scenario I learn a bit about the motor and don't take on
the project.  Anyway, to avoid being too verbose (kinda late for that)
those are my thoughts behind the question I presented to the list.  I'm
sure they are all fairly trite thoughts toward the forced induction
"technical" items, but I have little experience with the actual workings
of a motor compared to the theory of what each part is supposed to do.
(Read --->  Book smarts, but without experience, lacking some street
smarts).

Mike Humbert
90 w/ 159K