[Shotimes] (OT) Mazda 6 and '04 Maxima

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:50:38 -0500

IMHO, I feel that the GTO was created to hang on to the F-body folks until
another RWD performance car comes out. There was a consumer review group
that a local newspaper took to the Detroit show to get opinions. I don't
recall any of them that liked the GTO, and one of them was a guy who had
owned a few in years past. He felt they should have done some hood scoops or
SOMETHING to tie the car back to the old GTOs, but it's basically a
generic-looking coupe that really looks like something that one of the
Japanese manufacturers would have produced.

FWIW, I like the new iterations of the 3.5l Nissan motor! The 350Z is a
near-14-flat car right off the showroom floor (there were two out at Lapeer
this past year). The fact that it is used in many models should insure that
the aftermarket will be producing a bunch of go-fast parts for it.

The new styling cues on the Bonneville GTX make it look better, IMHO. The
taillights are not "sculpted" like the current model, plus they have done
away with the big round foglights in front, and gone with a more subtle
design (as did Subaru on the WRX......looks like the "big foglight" thing is
going away). The design just looks cleaner and more pleasant. I suspect a
touch of Lutz influence here, as he doesn't like the Pontiac body cladding
and over-the-top stuff. Although it's an ATX, the 4.0 V8 should be sweet. I
forget the HP rating (Ryan, do you remember?) but it should be a decent
ride. Although the Bonnies (and 300Ms) are a bit softer than the SHO, my
dad's '00 SLE model is a decent car to drive (red dash lighting
nonwithstanding!).