[Shotimes] Lost 5th gear

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 19:07:23 -0500

Joe, that's what I had with the original tranny in my '95. A week after
buying it with 78K, the diff blew after 5 dragstrip runs. It was virtually
totally rebuilt, with about every wear part replaced. Three months later, at
the next dragstrip outing, the diff blew AGAIN while idling through the pits
after about 5 runs.

I believe that there was a structural flaw of some kind in the hard parts
that don't get replaced in a rebuild (warped shaft, case not square, ???).
Basically, I didn't trust having it rebuilt. The used tranny from Al Fitz is
almost a year old, has almost 10K on it, and somewhere around 50 dragstrip
runs on it, with no issues.

If I were you, I wouldn't use that tranny again.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of van Oss
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 6:18 PM
To: KICKINSHO@aol.com; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Lost 5th gear

Kris, it was very generous of you to think about lending a car.  At the
moment, we are doing our highway driving in the Crown Vic, and using the 91
for driving around town.  Since I commute to Madison MWF, this means we're
switching cars each weekday.  I can see no alternative at the moment.  I
hope
this arrangement will tide us over until the middle of March, when UWM has a
week of spring break.  That week, maybe I can get my SHO into Courtney's.

Gary Morrell is sending me a complete 5th-gear system.  If I'm lucky,
Courtney
will be able to mend things by simply installing that.  I also have a
complete
spare MTX in the garage, which could serve as a donor.

My only worry is this:  Courtney has had this tranny open twice, once for
rebuild, and once for Quaiffe.  Since the risky parts (I thought) had been
replaced, I hoped I had a tranny good for at least 50K trouble-free miles.
No
I don't know if I will ever be able to trust this tranny.

Joseph "I am beginning to hate winter" van Oss