[Shotimes] (OT) Marauder

Don Mallison dmall@mwonline.net
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:08:46 -0600

Having owned a Crown Vic with the "handling" package, I can say with
authority that that version and the Marauder and NOT a typical big sloppy
barge.  They are not a 1200 pound race car, but they are not meant to be.

You want to feel typical big and sloppy, then I will take you for an
autocross in my 1966 Grand Prix. (and I have autocrossed it, it was a
hoot, and made for some alarming photo's! :)) And it does EXACTLY what IT
was designed to do, which is go down America's interstates in grace and
quiet with superb torque and enough "handling" for 90% of all situations.
 IT's not a race car, it's not an off-road truck.  Use it for what it is,
and it is perfect for that mission.

Same with the big Fords.  Stock, they handle much more confidently than my
1966 Grand Prix, and treat their occupants MUCH better than smaller
"sportier" cars.  With the Handling package, they become much more agile
and can be pointed and squirted through traffic and become even a bit of
fun on twisty roads.  In my opinion, the car is a very good compromise
between smooth rided and control.  A ride quality you can NOT attain in
any smaller car!  Again, if you want a sports car, buy a 911 or something
made for that, if you need a big sedan that will ride better than any
sports car, take you long distances in quiet and get you there relaxed,
then the big Fords are a GREAT car for that purpose.  They also tow more
than any smaller car, carry more people in comfort, carry more stuff in
the trunk, and seem to be dependable and economical.  They are also not
overly heavy for the size.  Being virtually the SAME weight as any of the
import luxury cars.  The US doesn't have a lock on two ton barges anymore.
 and the Germans don't have a lock on big cars that handle.  Frankly, it
takes two tons to give the ride necessary for some segments of the
population.  Until we have affordable full time totally active suspensions
and can deep six ALL forms of springs (air or metal or composite) you will
need 4000 pounds to get a true smooth ride.  Mass = more inertia =
resistence to that up-down motion that a LOT of people hate.

Heck when scouting for the 2000 Indiana convention, my wife will testify
that on back-country gravel roads, in my 1994 Crown Vic with 1994 shocks,
and 120+k miles, I was hanging the tail out and dirt-tracking the thing
like a rally car.  On the highway, the car got 20+ mpg, scared anyone that
was coming up on it at high speeds, was quiet, dependable, smooth and NOT
sloppy in the least in handling.  Good brakes too.

Don Mallinson
In defense of good old American big iron.