[Shotimes] Re: Gasket Matching on the Intake

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:28:01 -0500

Kurt,

    In port matching, while some values will hold true for any situation,
there are a lot that don't. It's extremely hard to weigh the factors, in
this case remove air restrictions vs. decreasing velocity. To really be able
to make an informed decision, you need to determine the exact effects of the
last 3" and calculate that against the increase in I.D. Runner shape and
direction also play a part. This can get really complicated, and sometimes
after making changes, a tuner finds no improvement, little improvement, or a
decrease in performance.

    This problem is worst when dealing with porting the head since the
intake turn-in and shape has a large effect on the final velocity and mixing
properties. This is less of a problem when dealing with matching the runner
to the head port. I know some use a formula that weighs the area of offset
vs. the increase in total area to determine whether or not porting will be
worthwhile, but I do not know it. If it's possible, a much better idea would
be to find someone that has performed this exact operation and dyno'd before
and after.

    If this is not possible, I can tell you that you can round the offset
edges with no ill effects. Rounding the edges no more than 1/2" into the
runner will decrease turbulence while affecting the volume for only a small
section. You don't want to make a circle off the edge. You actually want to
create a shape that is almost an "s". It should look like a hill that would
be good for sledding. One that you could slide down, that flattens out at
the bottom so that you can come to a stop by slowing down rather than by
hitting a wall. Same thing on the head port, except I'd limit my grinding of
the head port to 1/4" unless the ports were really long.

David P

95MTX

~