[Shotimes] RE: supercharging

Lewis lewisweb@charter.net
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 05:52:13 -0500

Why don't you just buy a 88 Iroc-Z, put a crate motor in it and beat the BMW
and the SHO.  I don't know about you guys but if you start trying to
quantify how much stuff costs for how much performance you get, you are
starting with the wrong vehicles.

I mod my SHO because I like the SHO, period.  A friend of mine put around
$30,000(yes, you read that right) in his Gti with a N/A VR6.  It would hang
right beside his 96 vette.  Now he spent a boatload on that car and got the
same performance that he already had in the vette, but that wasn't the
point.  And IIRC his N/A VR6 was laying down 256hp at the wheels!!!

William Lewis
95 red mtx
91+ white

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Ron Nottingham
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 5:16 AM
To: SHOtimes
Subject: Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: [Shotimes] RE: supercharging

So, how much did you pay for your SHO?  Did you build this yourself?  Or did
you buy it from someone tired of trying to tune it?  BTW, already modified
cars will always be cheaper to buy than if you bought a stock car and modded
it yourself.

If anyone wants a recipe for an E30 BMW (84-91 325) that will spank a SHO,
here goes:

Start with any 84-87 325es or 88 325 (not 325i or 325is, just 325).  The
preferred starting point (less engine mods) is the 88 325.  These cars come
with a 2.7L eta (economy) I6, not much hp, but have boat loads of torque.
Now, depending on what year eta you have determines what parts you will need
(the 88 eta engine is considered the best, as it is known as the SuperEta).
I will concentrate on the 88, since it is a little easier.  First get the
cam, Motronic ECU, intake (complete TB, FI), valve springs, and tachometer
from a 325i.  The 88 325 has the 325i head, all that is needed is to drill a
few oil passages for some of the cam bearings (the SuperEta only revs to
5200 rpm, not all cam bearings need oil passages), if you have another year
325es, you will need the 325i head also, as the Eta head has small valves
and intake and exhaust.  Install all the parts and you will have a ~195hp
2.7L screamer, with a nice fat torque curve (peak around ~200 lb-ft).  If
you have an es, weight should be around 2780 lbs, while the 4-door only 88
325 would tip the scales around 2760 lbs.

Next, get a T25 turbo, either have a exhaust manifold welded up, or find a
manifold from a 524td (it's a turbo diesel, but you will need to weld up new
flanges).  Now, you will need a chip, pretty easy to get custom E30 chips,
since E30 tuning is still big.  You should see around 275 hp, with light
boost (8 psi) and no intercooler.  All in a car that weighs around 2800
pounds, AFTER the addition of the turbo.

Finally, get a 4.10 LSD from a 325is.  It sure is nice paying $250 for LSD,
instead of the $1200+ for an LSD for the SHO :-)

This car could be built for less than $2500 (including the car!!).  Easiest
way?  Find a ragged out 88 325 that some poor schmoe can't afford to fix
(offer $300, go up to $400), get a totaled 325is parts car with good
interior ($600).  Do the work yourself, and buying other parts as needed,
say you spend $1500 out of pocket (ragged 325 + totaled 325is + misc parts:
$400 + $600 + $500 = $1500), you have around $1000 to spend for
turbocharging (or if you want, a supercharger).

I don't know how this combo will work on a dragstrip, but on any road
course, it should eat up any SHO.

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO
89 325i
"It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile"