[Shotimes] Gasket Matching on the Intake

Kurt M kmetros@elkhart.net
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 06:15:59 -0500

A couple of years ago when I had my SHO apart for it's second 60K I
ported out the leading end of the intake runners to match the gaskets
between them and the butterflies.  When I was done, the opening was as
large as the gasket and was tapered about 1.5" into the snakes, after
which the went to their normal size.  I also opened the holes in the
surge tanks to match the gaskets.

At that time I didn't mess with the openings between the snakes and the
heads.  This year, while it's apart, I am considering using a dremel to
port out the intake runners to match them to the size of the intake to
head gasket.  I am also willing to port out the heads to match these
gaskets.  Until yesterday, I wasn't willing to do this, but now that I
have the intake off and have looked at it more closely, I have a better
idea of how people are doing this with the heads still on the car and am
willing to try it out.

In reading about porting on the web, a couple of things came up that
cause me to question  whether or not this would be a good or bad thing
to do to my intake and heads.  My main concern seems to be that of
velocity.  Let's say the intake opening throughout the snake is 'x'
(where x is some volume of air, or some unit of measurement with regards
to the size of the opening) until 3" before the air hits the valves,
then for the last 3" (the area I port out on the snakes and head) the
volume becomes 'y' (some measurement slightly larger than x), will there
be enough loss of air velocity in the last 3" due to the larger chamber
size to cause a negative effect?

I'm wondering if this mod shouldn't only be done on an extrude honed
intake, where the size of the intake snakes are the same from the surge
tanks all the way through to the heads, where the size isn't going from
smaller to larger?

Am I on the right track?  BTW, here's an excellent article I found on
porting....

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/portdiy/diyport.pdf

Input appreciated.....

Kurt