Handling was [Shotimes] RE: supercharging

John Miller jem@milleredp.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:42:39 -0800

> Yes, the ATX SHO and SLO will have slight understeer with the 24/26 combo.
> That's different than a MTX SHO. Put a 22/26 combo in a street driven ATX
> and sooner or later you'll end up backing into a ditch.

I strenuously disagree with you on this.

22/26 is still a slight-understeer combination on an MTX car, and in a
non-Quaife application more power=more understeer no matter what kind of
Taurus you're driving.  The only way you'd ever get that combination to
oversteer is a BIG lift-throttle situation (dive into a corner
full-throttle and lift completely off the gas.)  And in that scenario the
24/26 combo will behave fairly similarly.  Moreover, 22/26 rides better -
less neck-whip over one-wheel bumps.

> Autocross or track events may benefit with oversteer, but I don't want
> that on my street driven FWD cars.

I agree about a general preference for a little understeer.  22/26 is a
little understeer.  24/26 is HUGE understeer in any Taurus unless you've
got a Quaife.

Autocrossers run 19/26.

The best performance combo in an open-diff FWD car is very stiff front
springs and no anti-roll bar.  All roll stiffness from springs and
left/right wheels completely decoupled.  Ride goes to hell, though.

John.