[Shotimes] Quick question

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:37:16 -0800

> I use 90 pounds, I think the range is 85 to 100 without digging out the
> book.

I use 90 ft-lbs, too.  The published specs for our cars are 100 ft-lbs, but
I think that's unnecessarily high and puts too much strain on the lugs and
wheels.  They hold their torque just fine at 90 ft-lbs, and I've never had a
problem with them at that spec, even with a day's worth of thrashing at the
track.

Watch out for tire shops that will tighten the hell out of them!  Any tire
shop that touches my car is instructed to remove, install, and torque my
lugnuts by HAND.  Some of them hate it and can't figure out why someone is
so worried about a "Taurus" with stock wheels, but I'm not going to deal
with warped rotors or broken lugs because they want to be lazy.

A local shop that I go to in town learned about overtorquing the hard way.
They used an airgun to run the lugs on a newer 911 after they were given
SPECIFIC instructions to run them on by hand and to torque them to a certain
spec.  When it came time to remove the wheel again, it would not come off,
no matter what they or anyone else tried.  The wheel was permanently stuck
to the hub.  To fix it, they had to replace the whole rear hub assembly and
wheel.  Not a good thing, when the wheel alone costs $1000 from Porsche!
Now they listen when given instructions! : )

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (See it at: www.cardomain.com/id/sh0gun)
85 Omni GLH-T (Yeah, it's fast)
NWSHOC Member