[Shotimes] Where have all the tires gone?

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:57:28 -0800

> I was looking for some new tires for my '95 SHO stock cheese slicers. I
think
> the size is 215/60ZR16. Living in Utah I was looking for an all season
tire to
> replace my Potenza RE71s. I was shocked to NOT find any Z-rated all-season
> tires listed for that size at either Tire Rack nor Discount Tires Direct.
They
> do have several mildly costly ZR all-seasons in the 225/55R16 size, but
none
> in the OEM size. What gives? Have all the SHO owners replaced their stock
> rims?

Check for "V," "W," and "Y" speed ratings - they are newer ratings that have
pretty much replaced the "Z" tire rating.  Here's how these new ratings
stack up:

    V     149 mph
    W    168 mph
    Y     186 mph
    Z      149+ mph

Basically they are using the V, W, and Y to replace the Z in order to be
more specific.  You shouldn't have a problem finding an all-season tire with
one of these ratings...

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (See it at: www.cardomain.com/id/sh0gun)
85 Omni GLH-T (Yeah, it's fast)