[Shotimes] OT-94 Sable 3.8l head gasket replacement

John Phillis jphillis68@hotmail.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:01:59 -0500

Glad you don't work on my cars.

I used to do 4 of these a week minimum when they were recalled by ford...
Ford lost a lot of money on this one, and as a result the techs were shorted
on W time.  The fastest I could do a complete head gasket swap was 4.78  and
I still have the time card to prove it.

From: "Gerald Harmon" <gharmon@knology.net>
To: "John Phillis" <jphillis68@hotmail.com>, <hamssho@nexicom.net>,
<shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] OT-94 Sable 3.8l head gasket replacement
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 23:15:44 -0500

 >I think it is torque to 35, 55, 75, then loosen bolts one at a time, and
 >then retorque to 75(65) can't remember offhand, and then an additional 90
 >degrees.  well, add 90, so make it 180 degrees.... and that shodl fix
 >that...

No, after you loosen them is when you use go an additional 90 degrees.  If
you retighten them to 75 then you will never go another 180 degrees.  I was
fuzzy on these instructions to begin with and tried that and I'm here to
tell you I was very luck I didn't break the head bolt off in the block.  I
garuntee I was approaching 200ft-lbs when I just could not make myself go
any further because I knew they were fixin to break.

 >you HAVE to buy new headbolts if they don't come with the headset. you
HAVE
 >to.

True.

  I don't care what anyone says, ABSOLUTELY.
 >why? because headbolts stretch out, hence the loosening retorquing thing.
 >see, what you do, is you loosen the headbolts after straining them some,
 >then, you go to town on tehm, and they are less likely to stretch out and
 >not hold the torque.
 >
 >we put a torque wrench on one jus tfor fun one time,a dnwe dialed it up to
 >meet the final torque spec.  you tighten it to 65(75) then 180 degrees
past
 >that...  it came out to well over 145 ft/lbs, which was the limit of the
 >torque wrench.

That is too much torque for those cheesy 11mm bolts.

Gerald