[Shotimes] Where have all the tires gone?

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:09:09 -0800

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:34:22 -0600, Paul L Fisher wrote:

>I have 225/60R16 on my slicers for my summer tires.

I think a concensus would agree...at least it is what I have seen.... that due to
the deletion of a lot of tires with 215 and 65 in their size designators, most of us
have gone to a 225/55/16 tire as a 'stock' replacement (for '91 and newer 16 inch
wheels).  I have discovered that 225/60/16 is sometimes a tiny bit larger than will
fit under the spring mounts on the front struts.  If this is the case, and I want to
run the tires, I need to lower the knuckle in the strut a quarter inch or so.

Also, the speedo will be noticeably in error with most brands of 225/60s, about 3 to
4 mph in the direction of an inadvertent speeding violation....BTDT.   (Sweet talked
my way out of it!)

George