[Shotimes] New tool, was lug nut torque

BJamesjr@aol.com BJamesjr@aol.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:56:56 EST

> I need to know what the torque should be for the lug nuts.

When in my dad's shop a week ago, he was about to hand me an air impact
wrench to tighten some lug nuts.  I told him that I would rather use a torque
wrench, then he told me that he had some special extensions that would limit
torque.  I didn't understand completely until I looked at them.  They are
1/2" drive extensions, about 10" long, and come in a set of at least 4
different ones, each one color coded for a specific torque range.  The lower
torque ones have smaller diameter shafts.  Apparently what they do is offer
less resistance for the impact wrench and thus transfer less of the impact
through the extension into the nut.  I tried them and they work that way.
You can impact a nut repeatedly and the extension just flexes and soaks up
the impact.