[Shotimes] Re: Rookie Significant Others

KICKINSHO@aol.com KICKINSHO@aol.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:10:08 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2003 6:54:23 PM Central Standard Time,
manunnal@netheaven.com writes:

> I think the idea behind it was to make the AWA's feel more comfortable out
> there, and to give them a chance to be involved (instead of standing around
> taking pics, etc).  If there is a group of them out there together, they
> would probably feel more at ease than with a bunch of us wanna-be
> Andretti's
> out there scaring them half to death.  You would have more of a chance to
> get them involved if you could make them feel comfortable.  (not counting
> those like terri, etc that have track experience)
>
> If it's your first time on the track, it's a lot to take in everything, and
> can make you un-easy when you have cars all around you filling up your
> mirrors.
>
> mark

 I agree with Mark.

I just want to reply on this a little.  I understand the point of "not"
having separate classes for men and women.  At the same time, I also
understand the idea behind getting us (women) out there and it being in our
"own" class.

I will admit, as much as I am a tomboy, as much as I love cars and racing,
and all that goes with it, it is much more "comfortable" for me to be with a
group I consider to be more on my level, or,  feeling the same as I do with
jitters etc.

I raced in a powder puff for the first time on a dirt track last year.  I
thought it would be fun, at the same time I was totally nervous and not sure
I wanted to do it.  If it wasn't for the class being "powder puff", I would
have never attempted it.  There is a ton of stuff, I realized,  I wished I
had known prior to the race starting.

I realize that there are women out there who  do not feel any different
competing with men, but at the same time, there are women out there who feel
somewhat intimitdated by men.  I of course cannot speak for everyone.  This
is just some of my feelings and responses.

When I raced last summer, I was completely overwhelmed at all that was going
on.  I  was in a car with a 6 point belt system, a neck roll, helmet, etc.,
etc., etc.  TALK about overwhelming.  I couldn't turn my head, or barely
breathe.  Yikes.  I would however try it again.   With women, until I felt
comfortable.

Okay, Okay, I will shut up now.

Kris        (just going to read and not say anything for a while)  ;^)
'91+ White
'93 Ultra Red ATX
" Women who behave, never make history !"